Articles are of TWO types. They are
- Indefinite article —- A / An
- Definite article —- The
If you want to say about ANY item, you should use the articles A / An. If you want to say about a SPECIFIC item, you should use the article THE.
Confused? Lets see an example. Assume that you’ve selected for a Bank Exam. You have a stupid friend like me. So obviously She will ask you a party.
Suppose if She says
- Lets go to a Restaurant, that means She doesn’t have any specific restaurant in Her mind. So you can give her party in ANY cheap restaurant. But,
- If she says Lets go to THE restaurant, that means She has some SPECIFICATIONS. I mean she have a specific restaurant in her mind. So you cant escape 😉
- Wow, Nice definitions. No?
- Have a look at some examples,
- Now tell me, what should I use before the words European, One-Eyed Beggar, University, Useful Website?
- Can I say, Guide4BankExams is an Useful site to know about Banking Exams?
- If a word starts with a SWAR (Any of the Indian Language) sound, then we should use An before it.
- If a word starts with a Vyanjan (An of the Indian Language) sound, then we should use A before it.
so, now see these examples,
- A European
- A One-Eyed beggar
- A University
- A Useful Website
- An hour
- An Honest Man
- An honourable person
- Now lets see some more TRICKY examples in English.
- Suppose , if you want to say about the Member of Parliament, you can say a Member of Parliament, But if you use shorter form as M.P, Then you should say, He is an M.P
- Lets see another example, He is an NRI but He is a Non Resident Indian
- Thats all for now friends, tomorrow we shall discuss about the article THE.