The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has proposed to restructure & formulate a scheme namely “Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of Beggars”. It will be a comprehensive scheme for persons engaged in the Act of begging which would cover identification, rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counseling, education, skill development, etc.
- State Governments/UTs/Local Urban Bodies and Voluntary Organizations, institutions will support the scheme which will be implemented in the selected cities having a large concentration of the Beggar community during the financial year 2020-2021.
- The pilot project of this scheme will be initiated during the Financial Year 2019-20 subject to the submission of the city-specific Action Plan by the State Governments. 100% Assistance under the Scheme shall be provided to the States/UTs for its implementation.
Initiative for Beggars
- During 2017-18, the Ministry has released an amount of Rs. One crore and Rs. 50.00 lakh for 2018-19 to National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation (NBCFDC) for skill development programs for beggars on a pilot basis.
- The Corporation has so far conducted skill development training program for 400 members of the beggar’s community in Warehouse Packer, Hand-rolled Agarbatti making, Hand Embroiderer, etc. Further, the Corporation has also sanctioned a skill development training program for 160 members of the beggars’ community in Self-Employed Tailor, Coir Artisans, and Asst. Carpenter job role.
- During the year 2019-20, this Ministry has released an amount of Rs. One Crore to National Institute of Social Defence (NISD) and Rs. 70.00 Lakh to National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation (NBCFDC) for skill development programs for beggars.