Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated in the centenary celebrations of the birth of ‘Jatir Pita’ Bangabandhu, Sheik Mujibur Rahman through video conferencing. Modi described Sheikh Mujibur Rahman as one of the greatest figures of the last century, and said, “His entire life is a tremendous inspiration to all of us.”
- Describing Bangabandhu as a Man of Courage, Conviction, and Sage of Peace, Prime Minister Modi said that Bangladesh’s “Jatir Pita’s” inspired the youth of those times to face the challenges of liberating the country.
Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, shortened as Sheikh Mujib or just Mujib, was a Bangladeshi politician and statesman. He is called the father of Nation in Bangladesh. He served as the first President of Bangladesh and later as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh from 17 April 1971 until his assassination on 15 August 1975.
- He is considered to be the driving force behind the independence of Bangladesh. He is popularly dubbed with the title of “Bangabandhu” by the people of Bangladesh. He became a leading figure in and eventually the leader of the Awami League, founded in 1949 as an East Pakistan-based political party in Pakistan.
- Mujib is credited as an important figure in efforts to gain political autonomy for East Pakistan and later as the central figure behind the Bangladesh Liberation Movement and the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971.
- Thus, he is regarded as “Jatir Janak” or “Jatir Pita” of Bangladesh. His daughter Sheikh Hasina is the current leader of the Awami League and also the Prime Minister of Bangladesh.